The two articles linked above are from last year. But Jon Hopkins’ tweet — Jon, who has collaborated on full albums with King Creosote and Brian Eno, scored for the film Monsters and with Eno for The Lovely Bones, and produced three albums of his own — was only made in the past few hours. That £8 return is as recent as the breakfast you ate this morning.
Artists you and I thoroughly enjoy, who serve as inspiration for our work and pick us all up during our day-to-day life, are able to sustain themselves with incentive to produce more work thanks to MP3s and CD sales. After revenue split, a signed artist can make $12.60 from fourteen $10 album sales, or 140 individual $0.99 tracks on iTunes. Imagine if those 90,000 plays on Spotify at $0.00009*¹ per play, were 90,000 digital purchases on iTunes at $0.09, after revenue split?
I understand that Spotify has a service to provide, and it is certainly convenient for the consumer to have so much music available to them at such a low monthly rate through anywhere with a working internet connection. But if I were an artist on Spotify, I’d might as well be sitting out on the street with an open palm to compliment my sales. It pays better.
*¹ Roughly recalculated to fit the revenue cut that Jon appears to be receiving, as Information Is Beautiful’s chart delivered a dollar figure three times more generous than Jon’s royalty return.
- iamendin reblogged this from queenston
- flammie likes this
- meepoh reblogged this from oceanmaster
- cakanir reblogged this from queenston and added:
- arigatoseitan reblogged this from queenston
- katyamondfische likes this
- sickelgaita reblogged this from oceanmaster and added:
- oceanmaster reblogged this from sickelgaita and added:
- impromptuonedykedanceparty likes this
- twenty-zero-one reblogged this from oceanmaster
- mariettarc reblogged this from queenston
- mno00 likes this
- rrowdybeast likes this
- bapeonion likes this
- oceanmaster likes this
- glory2arstotzka reblogged this from queenston
- archaemic reblogged this from oceanmaster and added:
- fuckyeahfuckyeahfuck likes this
- thatonewannabechef reblogged this from queenston
- starkinglyhandsome reblogged this from queenston and added:
- the-sleepiest-cloud said: I made $10 off of 10,000 plays on last.fm. True, i give my music out for free, but it’s still a tiny amount.
- feeols reblogged this from queenston
- ampvee likes this